Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Firecrackers

 
I have been on a cookie binge lately.  Something about the cooler weather just makes a good batch of butter, flour, and sugar too irresistible!  My taste buds love it, but my skinny jeans do not.  So although I have more yummy cookie recipes to share (even some more pumpkin varieties) I am going to take a detour to savory town with these delicious Firecrackers.

When I haven't been baking amazing cookies, I have been watching football.  Actually, sometimes I have been dong both!  It's been a pretty good fall.  I love to munch on foods while I am watching football.  And these firecrackers are perfect "munching" food.  Just be careful because it is too easy to accidentally munch on the entire batch!


I also want to mention quickly that this super-cute "finger food" platter was a very thoughtful gift from my sister.  She bought it for me just because she thought I would like it.  And I do!  Isn't she sweet?

Anyway, back to firecrackers.  I got this recipe from my mom, and isn't that really where the best recipes come from?  Besides watching football, my family is also known to sit around a table and play cards for hours.  And eating.  It was one of those kind of nights that I first had these yummy treats.  And it was love from first bite!  They are salty, savory, and spicy.  

These perfect party food.  If you are inclined to enjoy an adult beverage, I would suggest that these are are delightful with a good cold beer!  They are traditionally made with regular saltine crackers, but I decided to try them out with oyster crackers.  And it was great!

These are also super easy to make.   I haven't done a step-by-step post in a while.  But this was so simple, I really have no excuse.  The first step is to mix together oil, Ranch seasoning, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.  I used my own homemade Ranch seasoning (which is also easy to make!).  The amount of red pepper flakes is adjustable.  If you aren't into spicy foods, feel free to use less.
Put your crackers in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag, add the dressing mix, and shake it up!
And now you're done.  Yep.  Done.  Of course, the longer you let these sit, the more flavor the crackers absorb, so I would recommend preparing these at least 2 hours in advance of when you want to serve them.  But these really couldn't get any easier, or any tastier.  Try them out next time you are having a party! 

Firecrackers
Ingredients:
1 bag oyster crackers (or 1 box regular saltine crackers)
2/3 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Mix (or 1/4 cup homemade Ranch seasoning mix)
Directions:
Pour crackers into gallon-size Ziploc bag.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and Ranch mix until well combined.  Pour mix over crackers.  Seal bag and gently shake until well mixed.  Let sit for at least one hour.  The longer they sit, the more the crackers soak up the oil!


1 comment:

  1. Titanium Rainbow Quartz, an Ancient Chinese gem
    Find gemstones from over 400 countries titanium engagement rings around the world. Find gold titanium treasures black oxide vs titanium drill bits from all over the world! This gem best titanium flat iron has an ancient Chinese motif rainbow titanium that's very rare.

    ReplyDelete