Sunday, October 13, 2013

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Seasoning Mix

When I was a kid, my mom used to make this fantastic dip that I loved with potato chips.  It was a real culinary achievement--a packet of Ranch seasoning mix stirred into a tub of sour cream.  While it may not have been a challenge, it was one of my favorites!  Sometimes the simple things in life are the best.

Fast forward to adulthood.  The first time I was on my own and craving some of this delicious dip, I headed to the store to pick up a packet of Ranch seasoning.  Being a broke college student, I was quite disheartened at how much they cost.  It's just a few herbs spices put together, right?  I checked the ingredient list thinking that it must have flecks of gold in it or something.  Nope.  I guess the MSG must cost extra.  I have purchased it a few times since then, but it was always begrudgingly.  And now, enter Pinterest.  

I have been seeing recipes for homemade Ranch seasoning for a while, and I'm just now getting to trying it.  And I don't know why it took me so long.  It is so easy to make your own seasoning mix at home, it is cheaper, and there are no mystery ingredients.  

I didn't realize what was in these seasoning packets until I made my own.  Out of curiosity, I looked it up.  Did you know the main ingredient is maltodextrin?  I never would have guessed!  It also contains monosodium glutamate, calcium stearate, artificial flavor, xantham gum, carboxymethlcellulose, and guar gum.  I guess it's not just herbs and spices!

And all you have to do to make your own is measure a herbs and spices, and stir them together.  It couldn't be easier!  Then store it in an airtight container.  Make yourself a big ol' batch and you never have to worry about running out.  No last minute trips to the store, and no mystery ingredients!  Just delicious Ranch flavor and extra money in your pocket.  Perfection!

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Seasoning Mix
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder (can use regular dry powdered milk)
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Directions:
Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.  To make more powdery, blend ingredients in a food processor or blender, or crush with mortar and pestle.
Makes about 1 cup of mix.  1/4 cup equals 1 seasoning packet.  Store in airtight container.

Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Whisperer

No comments:

Post a Comment