Monday, September 24, 2012

Makeover Monday: Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins

Fall is officially upon us, and I am about to get my bake on.  Images of pumpkin and apple are already dancing through my mind.  But before I get to that, I have to share this peanut butter muffin recipe.  Muffins are a great way to start off a chilly fall morning, or a great treat to end the day while snuggled up in a warm blanket.  Cozy!

Unfortunately, many muffins are just cupcakes in disguise.  I prefer to eat muffin tops that won't give me a muffin top.  These peanut butter muffins provide plenty of nutrition, and plenty of taste.  I don't think I've ever had anything with peanut butter that I didn't love.  I mean, it's peanut butter.  It has to be yummy!  These hearty muffins are no exception.


This isn't my first Makeover Monday muffin recipe.  If you're wanting a muffin recipe that is distinctly more fall-like, try out my rhubarb apple cinnamon streusel muffins or cranberry orange oatmeal spice muffins.  These three great muffins all feature the same healthy substitutions: whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil, skim milk, and Splenda.  So they are high in fiber and taste, but low in sugar.  

And they don't lose anything in taste.  I took these to a K-State football game tailgate (go Cats!) and even my brother-in-law, who claims to not like muffins, loved them!  He couldn't believe it when I told him they were actually healthy.  He doesn't do health food.

Because of the peanut butter, these whole wheat peanut butter muffins are a little higher in calories than my previous two.  But the fat in peanut butter is the healthier unsaturated fat, and the peanut butter ups the protein content of these muffins, which makes them not only super tasty, but also supper filling.  Typical muffins with their refined flour and oil, go down smooth, which makes it tempting to pound a few at a time.  While these muffins are delicious, they are pretty dense.  Eat one, and you will be satisfied.  Very, very satisfied!  
So if you, like me, are a peanut butter fanatic, go ahead and make a batch of these whole wheat peanut butter muffins.  Pumpkins and apples can wait!

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup fat-free buttermilk (or 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar with skim milk to make 1 cup)
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare muffin pan with cooking spray or muffin liners.  Set aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the applesauce, brown sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk until thoroughly combined.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir together just until combined.  Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin pan.  Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.  Bake until golden brown, 22-24 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Then move to wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from Alida's Kitchen.

1 comment: