Monday, October 17, 2011

Makeover Monday: Rhubarb Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

Congratulations on making it through Monday!  For this week's Makeover Monday I made Rhubarb Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins.  I found the original recipe while browsing around on Two Peas & Their Pod's blog.  I always find good stuff there!  The title definitely grabbed my attention.  I am a fan of rhubarb and have some in my freezer.  But I usually associate this spring crop with other spring crops, such as strawberries.  I also thought is was an interesting concept to pair rhubarb, with its signature tartness, with another tart fruit like a Granny Smith apple.  I am all for tart so I had to give it a shot. 

The original recipe wasn't terribly unhealthy as far as desserts go.  And yes, muffins are a dessert in my house.  But I still felt I could improve it.  I made mine with 100% whole wheat flour, used skim milk instead of buttermilk, Splenda instead of sugar, and substituted applesauce for oil, although the original recipe did have some applesauce already. 

Even with the changes, the muffins were sweet, tart, moist, and delicious!
How many calories did I save?  1428.  I got 20 muffins.  That means these muffins had about 70 fewer calories each than the original. Now that's math I like.  Okay, I like all math.

To top it all off, these are a snap to make!  But don't worry, I will take you through it anyway:

Start by mixing the dry ingredients.
In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients.

Now put it all together, and add the rhubarb and apples.

Mix the ingredients for the streusel topping.  Steal a little taste if you want.  It's good!
Pour the muffin batter in muffin tins and top with streusel. 
Then pop those little babies in the oven and patiently wait for about 20 minutes.  I know you can do it!  Here's the full recipe:

Rhubarb Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Apapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 chopped Granny Smith apple
2 eggs
1 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup non sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Pinch of all spice
Cinnamon Crunch Topping:
1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp margarine
cinnamon/sugar mix
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin tins or use paper liners.  Combine skim milk with lemon juice to make a buttermilk substitute.
In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
In a different bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until well combined.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix slowly.  Add in the rhubarb and apple.  Mix gently. 
Make the cinnamon crunch topping: Mix all of the ingredients, except the additional cinnamon and sugar, in a small bowl. 
Divide the muffin mixture into muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.  Sprinkle the crumb topping over the muffins.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Yields about 20 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment