Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mini Corn Dog Muffins


Football season is in full swing.  Hallelujah!  And in my kitchen, football snack making is in full swing as well!  There is nothing like a good football game to bring people together to drink beer and eat great food.  It's a beautiful thing.  

I found this recipe on Pinterest and pinned it immediately.  It took me a while to get around to making them, but I am so glad I did.  I wish I could take credit for this recipe's brilliance.  It is such a simple idea.  Make a cornbread batter, cut up hot dogs, place cornbread batter in mini muffin pans, insert cut-up-hot dogs, bake, and devour.


I have always liked corn dogs.  But honestly, I probably haven't had one since high school lunch.  I guess it just never crossed my mind to buy corn dogs.  I assume you can buy them frozen at the grocery store.  And it certainly never crossed my mind to make my own.  How would one make a corn dog?  Deep fat frying?  I don't think so!

Fortunately, with this great recipe I can now enjoy the sweet and savory taste of corn dogs any time I want.  These are easy to make, and baked, not fried!  And they are deliciously addictive.  Plus, they are the perfect size to serve as an appetizer/snack for a football watch party.  Keep this recipe in your back pocket for Super Bowl time.  Or, better yet, put it in your front pocket and make these today!  K-State already beat the Jayhawks today (go State!), but there is plenty of great football left tonight!  And if you do make these mini corn dog muffins, feel free to invite me over!
  
Mini Corn Dog Muffins
Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
8-10 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt, and stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.
Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray, and spoon 1 Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and re-heat for 20-30 seconds before serving.

Recipe from iowagirleats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment