Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies

I guess I am on a cookie bender this week.  I made a batch of these Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies before I had even finished my Chocolate Reese's Pieces Cookies.  Oops.  I did redeem myself a little bit by giving some away.  Albeit reluctantly.  These are seriously yummy cookies.  

With Thanksgiving sneaking up on us (2 weeks away!) I have cranberries on my mind.  I love their sweet tartness.  I also love that they are a great source of antioxidants.  This time of year is when fresh cranberries show up in stores, but I enjoy dried cranberries year round.  Surprisingly this was the first time I put them in cookies.  I am not a huge fan of baked raisins, but these cranberry cookies turned out great.  

I also sneaked some whole wheat flour in these cookies.  If you are concerned about it being noticeable, don't be.  My husband plowed through two or three cookies before I told him they were made with whole wheat flour.  He had no idea.  Then he ate another one.  And you get a little whole grain power from the oats, too.  This makes me feel a little better when I have one too many cookies.  I do need my whole grains after all! 

The preparation of these cookies is pretty standard.  Start by whisking together the flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Then cream the butter with the sugars.
Add the eggs and vanilla.
Then gradually mix in the flour.  Take a moment to admire the tastiness that is cookie base.
Dump in the rest of the goodies.
And stir them in until they are evenly distributed.
Make dough into 2 tablespoon balls.  I used a 1/8 cup measure.  It's the same thing.  Wet your hands first to prevent the dough from sticking.  Place the dough on parchment-lined baking sheets, then flatten slightly with your fingers.
And just like that you are ready to bake some delicious cookies.
Don't forget to share!
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the egg and the vanilla extract and mix until well combined. 
Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. 
Stir in the oats, white chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
Roll dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie, and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Flatten the tops slightly and bake until cookies turn slightly golden, about 10 minutes.
Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment