Friday, November 11, 2011

Guacamole

 Last week I mentioned making guacamole when I shared my Make it Yourself Margaritas recipe.  I thought it was about time to share my guacamole recipe as well. I am a fairly new member of the guacamole fan club.  It is one of those things I just didn't get around to eating until a few years ago.  For the record, as far as appetizers go, chips and salsa will always be number one in my heart.  I have been known to polish off a small jar of salsa in one sitting.  And to be honest, I probably wanted more when I was done.  But guacamole is pretty high up there as well. 

This recipe is the only one I have ever used for guacamole because I was hooked the first time I made it.  It just tastes so fresh.  The jalapeno gives it the perfect amount of kick and the lime juice adds just a touch of tartness.  When making guacamole, you do want to make sure the avocados you use are soft to the touch.  Unripe avocados are hard.  That means gritty, yucky guacamole.  I know from experience.

Not only is this guacamole delicious, it is also nutritious!   Avocados are a good source of potassium, magnesium, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K, which are all low in the typical American diet.  Do keep in mind that avocados are high in total fat, which means guacamole packs 5 times more calories per serving than salsa.  The good new is that the fat in avocados is mostly monounsaturated fat, which is a heart healthy fat.  Plus, one avocado contains a whopping 13 grams of fiber.  That's more fiber than you would get from eating 3 medium apples.  Holy guacamole!

If you can chop vegetables, you can make guacamole.  And I highly suggest you do.  Today.  Now.
Here's what you need to make your very own fabulous, fresh guacamole.
Chop up the veggies.  Technically avocados are a fruit so I don't have to say to not chop them.  But I will: Don't chop the avocados. 
Looks pretty, doesn't it?  Cut the avocados in half like this:
Remove the pit.  You can save the pit to sink into the guacamole when you are done.  This helps prevent it from oxidizing (turning brown, to the lay person).  Now scoop out the good stuff and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
Then mash it all up until the avocado is smooth.  A fork works nicely for this.  When the avocados are mashed to your liking, add your lime juice and salt.  And voila!  You have guacamole.

This guacamole is great in tacos and as a dip with tortilla chips.  Or if you want a healthier alternative, use carrot sticks instead.  Or be like me and just eat some with a spoon.  But because it has about 25 calories per tablespoon enjoy in moderation.  After all, you have to save some of those calories for your margarita!

Guacamole
Ingredients:
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ripe medium avocados
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
Directions:
Mix tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic in a medium bowl.
Halve the avocados lengthwise and scoop out the pulp.  Add to tomato mixture in bowl.  Mash avocado while mixing with other ingredients.
Stir in lime juice and salt. 

Recipe from Kraft Foods

2 comments: