Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies

In case you haven't been able to tell by all the cheesy jewelry store and Russell Stover's commercials on TV, or you haven't noticed that everything in every single store is either pink or red, tomorrow is Valentine's Day!  And all you ladies out there know that food really truly is the way to a man's heart.  And what better way to treat your sweetheart than with a sweet treat?  

These pretty red velvet crinkle cookies are perfect for Valentine's Day.  They are soft and chewy with the rich, delicious red velvet taste that is sweeping internet-land.  One taste, and you will certainly be love-struck!  And if you have a busy Valentine's Day planned, possibly the best thing about these delectable treats is that they are quick and easy to make.  Yes, these are a cheater's cookie.  But they taste so good, no one will know they took almost no effort!



The secret behind the simplicity of these cookies is a box of red velvet cake mix.  Yes, I like cake mix cookies.  As a matter of fact, when I was a kid, I remember one of my favorite cookie recipes was Funfetti cookies my mom got from a Pillsbury cookbook.  And the thing I really loved about them was their amazingly soft texture.  Since then I have seen cookie recipes on several cake mix boxes.  Turns out cake mix actually makes perfect cookies!  

Don't get me wrong. I still love making, and eating, homemade-from-scratch cookies.  But on an evening when I am pressed for time, but my sweet tooth is screaming for cookies, it is nice to be able to reach for a box of cake mix, some eggs, and melted butter (other recipes I have seen call for oil) and whip up a quick batch of cookies.
And now that I think about it, this isn't even the first time I have shared a recipe for from-the-box-cookies.  This summer I shared a great recipe for chocolate sandwich cookies that are made from devil's food cake mix.  The cookies were made from the cake mix, and then they sandwiched a simple cream cheese frosting.  Then they blow minds with their deliciousness.  

If you have a few extra minutes to make your Valentine's Day treat (or your just-because-I-want-something-awesome treat!) I would definitely recommend whipping up some cream cheese frosting and turning these red velvet cookies into a red velvet cookie sandwich.  I wish I had thought of that before I devoured all these goodies.  Oh well, I still thoroughly enjoyed them!  I hope you do the same!

Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
6 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled
1 box Red Velvet Cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
2 large eggs
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.
Combine powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.  Set aside.
Place cake mix cooled butter, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.  Mix by hand until well blended and a dough forms.
Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar.  Place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
Bake 9-11 minutes, until edges are set.

Recipe from Duncan Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment