Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Oatmeal Pancakes with Honey Bourbon Apricot Topping


Despite the disgustingly hot and dry conditions we have been experiencing here in North Central Kansas, the apricot trees have been brave enough to bear fruit.  Tender, sweet, delicious fruit.  One of my husband's coworkers was kind enough to give us an ample supply of fresh apricots.  There were too many to just eat as a snack, which is what I usually like to do with my fruit.  So when I saw a recipe for honey apricot topping, I knew I had to make it.  


This recipe was super easy and I am officially declaring it as the absolute best way to use up any surplus of apricots you may have if you are fortunate enough to have an apricot tree (or know a kind soul who does and likes to share!).  If you don't have bushels of apricots lying around, I would still encourage you to buy some and make this delicious honey bourbon apricot topping.  








I have discussed previously my dislike of honey.  I am working on that.  I can actually tolerate a little bit of honey now, but I'm not going to go out of my way to eat it.  Except maybe in this.  Despite the pretty hefty amount of honey in this recipe, it doesn't taste distinctly of honey.  But it's nice and sweet!  And there is just a hint of bourbon.  Just enough to make it extra amazing!  And while I was reheating this, I decided to try adding some vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg for an extra boost of flavor.  Those additions took this to a new level of deliciousness.  You can exclude them when you make yours, but that would just be foolish!


After trying this topping, I had to decide how I wanted to eat it.  While it is pretty tasty just with a spoon right out of the dish, I thought it would make a great summery topping for pancakes, waffles, or French toast.  I'm kind of a breakfast fan!  So this past weekend I whipped up a batch of one of my favorite whole grain pancake recipes, oatmeal pancakes.  I haven't shared this recipe yet, which is a shame, so I thought this would be a great time to share the joy of healthy pancakes that are worthy of a Saturday morning treat.  And I am happy to report that honey bourbon apricot topping is wonderful on oatmeal pancakes.  What a great start to my Saturday!  


Oatmeal pancakes are the healthy way to go if you are going to enjoy some honey bourbon apricot topping, but it's good for other things as well.  For example, ice cream.  Don't tell anyone you heard it from me!  


Honey Bourbon Apricot Topping
Ingredients:
4 cups Sliced Apricots
2/3  cups Honey
2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoon Water
8 teaspoons Cornstarch
2 Tablespoon Brandy
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions:
Combine apricots and honey in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl; whisk in cornstarch. Add to fruit mixture and continue cooking until thickened, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove fruit mixture from heat and stir in brandy. Let cool before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.


Recipe adapted from Tutti Dulci


Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
Combine oats and milk in medium bowl or large liquid measuring cup; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.  Whisk until well blended.
Add eggs and vanilla to oat mixture.  Whisk to blend.  Stir into dry ingredients just until combined (if you get rid of all the lumps you will have flat pancakes!).
Preheat large frying pan to medium heat and coat with cooking spray if needed.  Ladle 1/4 cup of batter onto  pan at a time.  Cook until golden brown on bottom.  Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side.  Repeat with remaining batter.
Top with honey bourbon apricot topping if desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment