Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cheesy Guacamole Panini

I saw a pin on Pinterest a while back ago for a grilled cheese guacamole sandwich that looked fantastic.  I loved the idea, but never bothered pinning it, or checking it out.  Fast forward a bit.  I then found myself with no lunch plan and an avocado I needed to eat.  That post came back to my mind and I knew I now had lunch plans!

So I whipped up a batch of fresh guacamole.  You can check out my favorite guacamole recipe (heaven in a bowl!) or make your own.  I used Mexican blend cheese because I thought it would go well with the guacamole.  And it did!  But feel free to use whatever you have on hand.  I'm not the boss of you!  I was afraid if I made a regular grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with guacamole I would dump out all the good stuff while flipping.  So I made a "panini."  I use quotations because I don't actually have a panini press.  If you also don't have a panini press, no worries.  An indoor grill like a George Foreman works.  No Lean Mean Fat Grilling Machine?  Put the sandwich on a skillet like you would for a grilled cheese sandwich and then top it with a heavy pot like a Dutch oven.  Problem solved!

I'm sure I don't need to tell you all how to make a sandwich.  But I will anyway.  You never know!
Start by buttering one side of each slice of bread.  I didn't use anything fancy, just the loaf of whole wheat bread I had sitting around.
Put two slices of bread on the panini press, indoor grill, skillet, or whatever you're using, butter side down.  With me so far?  Top each slice with 1/4 cup of cheese.
And add that wonderful guacamole.  I put about two tablespoons on each sandwich.
Now put another slice of bread on each sandwich with the butter side up. Grill it until the bread is nice and toasty and golden, and the cheese is all melted and delicious.  It should only take a few minutes!  Lunch is served!

Cheesy Guacamole Panini
Ingredients:
4 slices whole wheat bread
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup guacamole
Directions:
Butter one side of 2 slices of bread and place on panini press, buttered side down.  Top each slice with 1/4 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons of guacamole.  Butter one side of the other 2 slices of bread and place on top of sandwich, buttered side up.  Cook until bread is golden and crusted and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment