Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Crescent Rolls

I can't get pumpkin out of my head.  I think in September I should have bought stock in Libby's.  My latest pumpkin quest was Pumpkin Crescent Rolls.  When I came across this recipe a few years ago I actually wasn't even looking for a pumpkin recipe.  This was during the dark ages when I thought baking with yeast was too hard for me, and I was searching for a crescent roll recipe that didn't require yeast.  I have been wanting to make these for a long time and finally got around to it this week.  Now I wish I hadn't waited so long!

The dough itself was so easy to put together, and the assembly was definitely doable.  And the result was delicious homemade rolls that were soft on the inside with a nice crispy crust, and a subtle pumpkin flavor.  I used part whole wheat flour which gave it a nice nutty flavor, along with a fiber boost.   

As with most fresh breads, these were great right out of the oven.  But they did reheat well in the microwave for about 7 seconds.  These would be great on a Thanksgiving table, and I think could easily be made the day before. 

To start making these tasty rolls, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
In another bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  The dough doesn't have to come together at this time.
Use your hands to bring the dough together and form a ball.
Flour your work surface and knead the dough 10-12 times.  Then divide in half.  I used my kitchen scale make sure my two pieces of dough were the same size.
Roll each ball into a 10-inch circle.  I about had a panic attack while I was rolling out my dough because I didn't get it into a very good circle.  In the end, when I rolled up the dough, you couldn't even tell.  So if you are rolling pin challenged like I am, don't fret.  Once you have your "circle," cut each circle into 8 wedges.  I used a pizza cutter.
Take each wedge and roll loosely, starting with the wide end.  Place on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Curl the rolls slightly.  Otherwise you just have rolls.
Bake 10 minutes, or until golden brown.  Devour.  

Pumpkin Crescent Rolls
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
In a small mixing bowl combine the pumpkin, oil, and brown sugar.  Add pumpkin mixture to dry mixture, stirring with fork until combined.  Use hands to form into a ball.
Line a large baking sheet with foil.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead dough gently 10-12 strokes.  
Divide dough in half.  Roll each half to a 10-inch circle.  Cut each circle into 8 wedges.  
To shape, begin at wide end of each wedge and loosely roll toward the point.  Place point sides down, about 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheet.  Curve ends of rolls slightly.
Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm.
Makes 16 rolls.

Optional:  To make sweet crescent rolls, combine 2 tsp granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon and sprinkle over rolls before baking.

Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens                     

2 comments:

  1. u didn't use any butter .. wow ! That's a healthy crescent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they get plenty of taste from the pumpkin. They come highly recommended. By me!

    ReplyDelete