Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Apple Cranberry Oven Baked Pancake


In case you haven't noticed, I love making yummy breakfast treats.  A few years ago I decided I wanted to make apple pancakes and began searching for a recipe.  What I came across was oven baked apple pancakes.  It's not what I originally had in mind but I thought it was worth a try.  The first recipe I used was okay, but not great.  To me it was too egg-y, too bland, too soggy, and just forgettable.  I thought I could do better.

In my own version of the oven baked apple pancake, I added more flour (whole wheat of course!) to make it more like the pancakes I was used to and less like an apple omelet.  I also added walnuts for a bit of crunch, and cranberries for a little extra flavor punch.  I chose cranberries because I love their tartness and it is November, but you could use raisins if that's what you have.  You could also use whatever kind of nuts you have if you don't have/like walnuts.  But if you don't like walnuts I suggest you seek mental help immediately.  I used margarine to save calories, and added some ground flax seed to give these pancakes a boost of omega-3 fatty acids.  But if you aren't into preventing heart disease, feel free to leave the flax out. 

One advantage of oven baked pancakes compared to traditional pancakes is that you simply prepare a pan of them, and then stick it in the oven, and forget about it for a half an hour.  That is a great time to brew some coffee and read the paper while the aroma of apples and cinnamon overtakes your house.  Yum!  This version really hit the spot and is a great fall breakfast.

To start out, preheat the oven.  While the oven is heating, put your margarine in a pie plate.  Put it in the oven to melt.
 While that is going on, thinly slice an apple and get the rest of the ingredients ready.
When the margarine is melted, take it out of the oven and spread it evenly over the entire pie plate.  Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon over the melted margarine.
Then top with walnuts, apples, and dried cranberries.
Whisk the eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
Pour the batter over the apples.
Bake for about 30 minutes.  When it is done, immediately losen the edges and flip the pancake upside down on a serving plate.  My edges stuck a little bit, so it might be a good idea to spray the edges with cooking spray.
These are yummy as is, but they are fantastic with a little pancake syrup drizzled on them.  This serves 2-4 depending on how hungry you are.  My husband and I can polish off a pancake by ourselves pretty easily on a Saturday morning! 

Apple Cranberry Oven Baked Pancake
2 Tbsp margarine
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 eggs
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  While oven is heating, melt margarine in a 9-inch pie plate.  When margarine is melted, spread over bottom and pan and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle walnuts evenly over pan then top with apple slices and dried cranberries.
Beat eggs slightly in a medium bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients just until mixed.  Pour batter over apple slices.
Bake for 30 minutes or until puffy and deep golden brown.  Immediately loosen edge of pancake and turn plate upside down onto heatproof serving plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment