Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sweet Potato Rosemary Biscuits

 I have always liked biscuits.  But as I have become more of a homemade, from scratch, kinda girl I have come to realize that I love  biscuits.  The realization culminated recently when I had an early morning meeting at work where breakfast was served.  That evening while hashing out our respective days, it came up that I ate a biscuit at said breakfast.  My husband asked me how it was and I replied, "It was good, but so not homemade."  That was when I knew I had become a biscuit snob.

Making your own biscuits from scratch really isn't that hard.  Having a food processor doesn't hurt either.  Drop biscuits like these Sweet Potato Rosemary Biscuits are especially easy.

My husband and I recently moved, and have been blessed with great neighbors who are avid gardeners, and good sharers.  I am sure their kindergarten teachers would be proud.  Their latest garden gift was two sweet potatoes.  Two giant sweet potatoes.  Usually I just bake sweet potatoes, but these are too big to just pop in the oven.  I was contemplating what to do with these monster spuds when I came across a recipe for Rosemary Sweet Potato Biscuits.  Bingo.  So, let's put our aprons on and start baking some homemade biscuits!

 The original recipe was made with leftover roasted sweet potatoes.  Since my potatoes would have taken approximately 5 days to roast, I just diced what I needed and took the easy way out by microwaving them for a few minutes until they were soft.
 The first step is to combine the dry ingredients.  I made my biscuits with half whole wheat flour.  Shocking, I know.
Then add minced garlic and rosemary.
 Now add butter and combine until the mixture resembles a course meal.  This is where a food processor comes in handy, but if you don't have one you can use a pastry cutter or two knives.  And then ask for a food processor Christmas. 
Now move the mixture to a bowl and stir in those beautiful sweet potato chunks.
  Milk's turn to get into the action.
Mix just until moistened.  Over mixing your dough can cause it to be too tough.  Nobody wants tough biscuits.  Then I used my 1/4 measuring cup to scoop the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
At this point you should brush with melted butter or margarine.  I forgot.  Don't forget.  Since I forgot, I put it on when they were done baking and I sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese.
Aren't they lovely?  Here's the recipe if you want to give it a shot:

Rosemary Sweet Potato Biscuits
adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powdder
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried rosemary
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup diced sweet potatoes, cooked
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.  
In a food processor, mix together flours, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Add the minced garlic and rosemary.  Mix in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Move to large bowl.
Add sweet potatoes and gently stir.  Pour buttermilk over all of the ingredient and stir with a spatula until just combined.
Drop by 1/4 cup onto prepared baking sheet.  Brush biscuits with melted butter.  Bake 15-17 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  Remove from oven and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment