Saturday, October 22, 2011

Apple Cider Oatmeal

While I was making my Simple Cinnamon Spiced Cider the other evening, I looked at my gallon of apple cider and wondered what else I could do with it.  The brisk mornings we've been experiencing lately have caused me to switch out my Bran Flakes for a cozier bowl of hot oatmeal.  I usually make my oatmeal with milk instead of water to make it creamier.  It occurred to me that I could use apple cider instead of milk.  I suppose this concept doesn't turn the breakfast world on its head, but it was something new to me!  So I gave it a try, and I was glad I did!  The bowl I whipped up tasted suspiciously like apple crisp.  Dessert for breakfast?  Yes, please!
Not pictured: Pecans and Wheat Germ.  Shame on them.
I like the nutty taste of wheat germ in my oatmeal, plus it adds a little extra fiber, protein, and some vitamins and minerals.  I also tend to put approximately a ton of cinnamon in my oatmeal, and some nutmeg which I thought was perfect for this version.  Cinnamon and nutmeg are both good antioxidants, so feel free to pile 'em on!  Since the apple cider has plenty of natural sugar, there's no need to add any.  A slice of apple chopped up and a sprinkle of pecans gave it a little crunch.  So if you are tired of your usual bowl of oatmeal, or want a quick sweet treat on a cold evening, go ahead and whip up a bowl!

Apple Cider Oatmeal
Ingredients:
1/2 cup oatmeal
6-8 oz apple cider
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped apple (I used Granny Smith)
2 Tbsp chopped pecans
1 Tbsp wheat germ
Directions:
Add oatmeal, cider, and chopped apple to microwave safe bowl.  Use 6 oz apple cider if you like thick oatmeal, or 8 oz if you like it thinner.  Cook oatmeal according to package directions.  
When oatmeal reaches desired thickness, stir in remaining ingredients.  
Note: adjust seasonings to your preference.  I don't usually measure, but I like a lot of spices!

1 comment:

  1. I had this for breakfast again this morning. I can't emphasize enough how great it is!

    ReplyDelete