Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Frosting

You may have noticed that I have been MIA for a while.  I have taken on some other responsibilities that have not allowed me much time for blogging.  I thought things would get better when school was out and I stopped working, but I was wrong.  Sorry!

However, I made this cake this past weekend for my husband's birthday and he loved it so much that he said I had to blog about it.  So I am.  And he is correct that this should be shared.  It was too easy and too delicious not to share!


I have chronicled before my adventures in making the perfect birthday cake for my husband.  We were coming home from vacation on his actual birthday, so this cake was a few days late.  But I stand firm in my belief that even if it's not the exact day, a birthday may not be allowed to pass without the consumption of a ceremonial birthday cake.  So I started brainstorming (by that I mean browsing Pinterest) for the perfect cake to make this year.

I have also chronicled that my husband loves anything chocolate or anything peanut butter, and dies for anything that is both.  After some searching, I came across a pin for a chocolate chip cake.  Chocolate chip cookies are his absolute favorite, so I thought a chocolate chip cake would be a perfect birthday treat.  And then I decided to take it to the next level by making the frosting a peanut butter buttercream with chocolate chips.

Not only did this cake sound great, but it was also pretty easy.  It had the taste of made-from-scratch cake without the made-from-scratch cake hassle.  Making the cake consists of whisking together dry ingredients, whisking together wet ingredients, stirring them together, and stirring in chocolate chips.  Anyone can do it!

And the result was amazing!  The sounds my husband made while consuming this cake can only be described as inappropriate.  But it was his birthday cake, so it's allowed!  This cake is super moist (thanks in part to pudding mix) and the frosting is thick and perfectly peanut-buttery.  And the combination is heavenly!

If you want to make someone's day extra-special (birthday's not required) make this amazing cake.  Be prepared to drink some milk!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Frosting
For the cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3.4 box instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp sour cream or plain yogurt
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup chocolate chips

For the frosting:
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp milk
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 8-inch pan (square or round) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, vanilla, and almond.
Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined.  Gently fold in chocolate chips.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting:
Cream together shortening and butter.  Add peanut butter and vanilla at medium speed until combined.  Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping bottom and sides of bowl between additions.  Frosting will appear dry.
Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.  If frosting gets to thin, add additional powdered sugar.  Beat at high speed until frosting is light and fluffy.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Frost cake.

Cake recipe adapted from Mother Thyme.  Frosting recipe adapted from Wilton's.

2 comments:

  1. sounds and looks yummy.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information that you have shared here with all of us. You have made it easier for us...

    ATG

    ReplyDelete