Thursday, June 13, 2013

Scotcheroos

If you have never had scotcheroos before, boy, I have a treat for you!  I was first introduced to these tasty bars back in the summer of 2008.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  My husband, who had only made it to fiance status at the time, was working for a law firm in beautiful Manhattan, Kansas and one of his coworkers made a batch to share.  I'm a little fuzzy on the details of how I actually got some.  But to be honest, yesterday is a little fuzzy as well.

Details aside, I remember that I was in love at first bite.  Scotcheroos are incredible.  It's kind of like a Rice Krispie treat on steroids.  Serious steroids.  There's a hefty dose of peanut butter thrown in the bars, and it is topped with a mixture of melted chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.  It's heavenly.

And I know these scotcheroos were a major hit with everyone at my husband's office, because Kelly, the lovely girl who brought them, sent out the recipe to everyone in the office.  That must mean she had a lot of requests for that recipe.  And that is the best test of how delicious a recipe truly is.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a great recipe organization system at the time, and I lost my copy of her recipe.  

It was a tragic day in my life when I went to find it and failed.  I tried to find a copy of it online.  I ended up finding a few versions, and I tried one.  It was good, but not as magical as I had remembered.  I kept looking.  I ended up finding a version on Brown Eyed Baker's website.  I love her stuff, so I gave it a shot.  It was pretty good, but I had a hard time getting the chocolate/butterscotch topping to spread.  It was too stiff and there wasn't enough of it to go around.


Then, something miraculous happened.  I found my original version of the scoteroos!  It turns out that Kelly's recipe was exactly the same as Brown Eyed Baker's recipe, except that Kelly's had more chocolate and butterscotch in the topping.  I recently gave this beloved recipe another try.  And it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it being!  

Another great thing about a recipe like this for this time of year is that it is a no-bake recipe.  I love it when I don't have to fire up the oven on a hot day to get a delicious treat.  I promise that if you make a batch of these yourself, you're never forget the first time you had a scotcheroo! 


Scotcheroos
Ingredients:
6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
Directions:
Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.  Set aside.  Pour cereal into large bowl and set aside.
Place sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.  Remove from heat.  Stir in peanut butter until melted and combined.
Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal and stir until well combined.
Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together in the microwave using 30 second increments and stirring.  Spread evenly over cereal mixture.  Let sit until firm.  Cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment