Monday, May 6, 2013

Makeover Monday: Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (No Eggs!)

I love a good cookie.  Probably too much.  I absolutely can't have just one.  Heck, most of the time I can't have just two!  That's why these peanut butter oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites.  They are tasty, moist, peanut buttery, and relatively healthy.  Relatively.

Another great thing about these yummy cookies is that they are egg free.  I don't have an egg allergy or anything, but if you do, these are for you.  These are also perfect for people like me who prefer their cookies a tad under-baked.  And by under-baked, I mean raw.  Grab a spoon!




Other than not having eggs, these cookies are also a little different in that they contain butter milk.  And thanks to the oatmeal and whole wheat flour, these have a nice little boost of fiber that you wouldn't get in your average cookie.  But despite the fiber, these cookies are always a hit.  When I am asked to bring treats to a get-together, I am occasionally a good little dietitian and bring something a on the healthier side.  These cookies are one of the treats I like to share with others, and they are always a hit!
This is one of those recipes that I wrote down years ago.  I have made them over and over, and I have no idea where the recipe came from anymore.  I have had issues in the past with peanut butter cookies working out for me.  It took me a long time to find my favorite peanut butter cookie.  But like those, these cookies turn out perfect every time!  They truly are the whole package!

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup fat free buttermilk (or 1/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 tsp vinegar)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, and buttermilk until smooth.  Stir into flour mixture until soft dough forms.  Shape into 1-inch balls and place on prepared cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.  Flatten gently with the back of a fork to make criss-cross marks.
Bake 10-12 minutes.  Yields about 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment