Monday, May 14, 2012

Makeover Monday: Strawberry Poppy Seed Pancakes

 
Spring is in full swing and that means it is berry eating time!  I have never met a berry I didn't like, but I think of all the members of the berry family, strawberries are my favorite.  This time of year, it's hard to beat the taste of a perfectly ripe, sweet, juicy strawberry.  And, like all berries, strawberries are as good for your health as they are for your taste buds.  They are loaded with Vitamin C and cancer-fighting antioxidants.  Berries spoil easily, which is part of the reason why they tend to be a little pricy.  But now is the time of year when they are freshest, and usually cheapest.  So feel free to add lots of berries to your Spring cuisine!

Recently I found myself with some strawberries I needed to use up before they spoiled.  And I had a husband with a hankering for pancakes.  I am always looking for ways to mix up my Saturday morning pancakes and I thought tossing in a handful of strawberries would make a nice Spring breakfast.  And then I decided to up the ante by adding some poppy seeds.  They added a nice bit of color.  And though the strawberries were great for Spring, the red and blue combo of strawberries and poppy seeds would be perfect for the upcoming patriotic holidays.  Memorial Day is right around the corner, and before you know it, it will be the 4th of July!  Picnics get all the glory for these holidays, but why not start off the day with a little red, white, and blue?


 And I didn't waste my healthy strawberries on some unhealthy pancakes.  No way, Jose.  I made my standard pancake base with half whole wheat flour, Splenda instead of sugar, applesauce instead of oil, and an egg white instead of a whole egg.  Then I folded in my chopped strawberries and poppy seeds.  I topped 'em off with a dollop of light whipped topping and sugar-free strawberry syrup for an awesome breakfast that tasted like a splurge, but wasn't!  That's the kind of breakfast I love! 

Strawberry Poppy Seed Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder 
2 Tbsps Splenda
1 egg white
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
2 Tbsp poppy seed, divided
Light whipped topping
Sugar-Free Strawberry syrup
Ingredients:
Mix flours, salt, baking powder, and Splenda in a medium mixing bowl.
Beat egg white, vanilla, milk and oil until blended.  Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.  Fold in strawberries and 1 tablespoon of poppy seed.  
Ladle onto hot skillet, 1/4 cup at a time.  Cook until bubbles on the surface pop.  Flip and cook other side until golden brown.
Serve with whipped topping, and strawberry syrup.  Garnish with additional poppy seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment