Monday, April 2, 2012

Makeover Monday: Oatmeal Banana Pancakes

In case you didn't know, today just happens to be my birthday.  Don't worry if you didn't send a present.  I accept late entries! :)  I have been spoiled with several birthday celebrations already, including a trip to Bentonville, Arkansas yesterday and some great food!  My husband has traditionally baked me a Funfetti cake for my birthday, which I love.  But this year we are making a cake from scratch, together.  He needs supervision in the preparation of anything that doesn't come in a box!  I am really excited about the cake we are making and can't wait to share with you.  I'm not saying what kind we are making, but if you've been reading my blog, I don't think you will be surprised with what I've picked out!

Anyway, I haven't exactly been eating healthy in the last few days, but Makeover Monday must go on!  I thought a pancake recipe would be appropriate to share today in the spirit of my birthday.  Why pancakes?  While my family always partook in the tradition of cake and ice cream for birthdays, we had another tradition when I was growing up.  We always had a special breakfast for the birthday boy or girl on his or her birthday morning, no matter what day of the week it was.  So you might have to get up a little early in the morning, but you were going to get pancakes and presents, so it was worth it!  While the pancakes we had back then probably weren't particularly healthy, any pancakes made at my house now are.  That includes these delicious oatmeal banana pancakes!

The oatmeal in these pancakes, unlike in my oatmeal cinnamon roll pancakes, is ground in the food processor.  So you get the flavor of the oats without having chunks of oatmeal in your pancakes.  Not that I mind chunks of oatmeal!  I use two very ripe (i.e. sweet!) bananas so I don't have to add much sugar, and I get a lot of yummy banana flavor.  I use all whole wheat flour in these pancakes.  These are a bit like banana bread in pancake form and the whole wheat flour gives them nutty taste without the calories of nuts.  I put a little wheat germ in mine for additional nutty flavor, but you can omit it if you don't have any.  And of course, I use skim milk and applesauce instead of oil to cut out the fat.

I know I probably have said this about every pancake recipe I have shared, but this is one of my favorites.  I love my oatmeal banana pancakes!  They include all the characteristics that I think make a great pancake--thick, moist, hearty, and flavorful!  These are amazing with a dab of butter or margarine and some maple syrup (light, or course!) but these are so good I actually ate the leftovers naked.  That's a good pancake!
The preparation of these pancakes is pretty standard.  Start by grinding the oatmeal in a food processor until it looks like coarse flour.
Then whisk together an egg, milk, applesauce, ripe bananas, and vanilla.  I hadn't made these in a while, but I had written a note on my recipe that last time I made them, I did the wet ingredients first in my food processor, since it was already dirty from grinding the oatmeal.  So I combined these ingredients together in my food processor this time.  It worked out really well, and I had a nice foamy mixture.  Then it spilled out the bottom.  Maybe that wasn't the best idea!
Then whisk together in another bowl the oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  This could be done in the food processor, too.  You might as well since you have it out!
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
Let the batter rest a few minutes while the skillet heats.  Then pour the batter onto a skillet using a 1/4 cup measuring cup.  Portion control!
Bake 'em on one side, flip, and bake the other side.  Top with butter, margarine, and/or maple syrup.  Or just eat them as they are--delicious!

Oatmeal Banana Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked rolled oats
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp wheat germ (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 cups skim milk
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
Directions:
Place rolled oats in food processor and pulse until texture resembles coarse flour.  Whisk together blended oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Set aside.
Whisk together the egg, milk, applesauce, vanilla, and mashed banana in a medium bowl.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Stir just until moistened.  Let batter stand for 5 minutes.
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat.  Use 1/4 cup measuring cup to drop batter onto skillet and cook until edges are dry, about 2 minutes.  Flip, and cook until browned on the other size.  Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes about 18 pancakes.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment