Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Honey Graham Crackers

I guess I am on a homemade kick.  Earlier this week I posted my homemade hot dog buns.  Yesterday I posted my peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough dip, and promised I would share what I used as a worthy carrier for this fantastic treat.  And that carrier is homemade graham crackers.  Aren't I fancy?

I think I decided to make my own graham crackers because that seemed easier than going to the store and buying some.  And they were actually really easy.  The whole process of making these probably took a little longer than going to the store, but the hands-on time is quick.  The fact that they are fresh, preservative free, and delicious is just a bonus.  These had a delightful buttery taste and just the right amount of sweetness.

This post has the added bonus of a mini history lesson.  Graham crackers were invented in 1829 by a reverend named Sylvester Graham as a health food to help sinners resist their "carnal urges."  Today's processed, refined flour based snacks probably don't qualify as health food.  So these graham crackers made with whole wheat flour are really just taking the graham crackers back to their roots.  Whether or not they curb off carnal urges...I'll let you decide!

To make your own yummy whole wheat graham crackers, start by melting some butter.  I went the microwave route.
Then add honey.  I actually used 4 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of Splenda to cut back on the sugar a little bit.
Add an egg and mix.  Add water and mix.  Mix, mix, mix.
Add salt, baking powder, and flour.  You guessed it, mix!
Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes to let it harden.  You can leave it overnight if you want.  Divide the dough in half and roll the dough into a 1/8-inch thick rectangle.  I know mine looks really nice, but I trimmed the edges.  I think you know I can't roll out a perfect rectangle!
Score the dough into graham-cracker sized rectangles.
And use a fork to poke the little holes that graham crackers have.  If you want to cut out some time, you could easily skip this step.  But it makes them look more authentic!
Place your graham crackers on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.  They are soft at first, but they will crisp up when they cool.  These are delicious on their own, but I highly recommend eating these with peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough dip!  I promise you won't regret it!

Homemade Whole Wheat Honey Graham Crackers
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
6 Tbsp honey
1 egg
2 Tbsp water
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Melt butter in the microwave or a saucepan over low heat. Once melted, let it cool. Put melted butter into a mixing bowl and add honey. Mix thoroughly. Add egg. Mix thoroughly. Add water. Mix thoroughly. Add salt, baking soda and flour and mix until combined.
Put dough in the refrigerator to harden up a little about 30 minutes.
Divide dough in half. Flour a rolling pin and rolling surface and put one section of the dough onto it. Roll out the dough to about an 1/8″ thickness. Score the dough into rectangles (similar to the size of Graham Crackers). Prick with a fork just to make them look pretty (like Graham Crackers). Transfer to an ungreased baking pan. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
Bake for 15 minutes or until a golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
Store in an airtight container.

Recipe from Big Life Little Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment