Friday, December 9, 2011

Bruschetta Minute Steaks

Believe it or not, somewhere in between cookies and cake, I do eat actual meals!  And I know those of you out there in internet land eat actual meals, too.  So at the request of my little sister, I will share one of my favorite meals with you:  Bruschetta Minute Steaks.

Minute steaks are famous for being the "steak" in chicken-fried steak.  When I first ventured out on my own, that was the only way I knew how to prepare them.  And honestly, I wasn't even very good at that.  So I set out to find a better way to prepare this budget-friendly piece of meat.  I found a recipe for Bruschetta Minute Steaks on Kraft's website (great recipe source!) and adapted it slightly to meet my needs.  This is a great quick and easy meal that is perfect for busy weeknights.  And it is delicious!

Start out by making the stuffing.  The recipe calls for a box stuffing mix.  This would also be a great way to use up leftover stuffing.
While waiting on the stuffing, chop up a pepper.  I used green this particular time, but I have used a red pepper also.  
Then mix the chopped pepper, a can of Italian-style tomatoes, and Italian dressing.
Brown the steaks for about a minute on each side.  I have used both minute steak and round steak.  Both worked fine.
Top the steaks with the tomato mixture, then with the stuffing and sprinkle with cheese.  Once again, I have used Parmesan, mozzarella, or just whatever cheese I could find.  This recipe is very adaptable! 
Cook for a few more minutes until steak has reached desired doneness.  And that's it.  Seriously. 
Just a warning, the stuffing and tomato stuff probably won't all fit on your steaks.  I just go ahead and let the extra stuffing simmer in the tomato juice.  Then I keep it to have as a side dish later.  It is yummy!  And because there is already stuffing on the steak, I just serve these with a vegetable as a side.  I know it has veggies in it, but a few more won't hurt.  Promise!


Bruschetta Minute Steak
Ingredients:
6 minute or round steaks (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 14.5 oz can Italian-style tomatoes (diced or stewed), with juice
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup lite Italian dressing
1 16 oz package stuffing mix for chicken
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or mozzarella)
Directions:
Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package.  Chop green pepper.
Lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray.  Heat over medium-high heat.  Add steaks and cook for about one minute on each side to lightly brown.
Meanwhile, mix tomatoes, peppers, and Italian dressing.  Spoon over steaks.
Top steaks with prepared stuffing and sprinkle with cheese.  Reduce heat to medium low and cover skillet.  Simmer 3-5 minutes or until steak is cooked to desired doneness.

Recipe adapted from Kraft Foods.


1 comment: