Friday, October 7, 2011

Toffee Crunch Cookies

It's fall.  The leaves are officially changing colors, the weather is cooler, and I can watch football just about anytime I want.  Life is good.  This time of year, I can't get enough goodies with apples or pumpkins.  However, my husband can.  I did pumpkin the other day with my Pumpkin-Ginger Waffles so I decided to give him a short break.  One of his favorite treats is chocolate chip cookies.  Now, I like chocolate chip cookies, but I get bored making ordinary stuff like that.  So I made these Toffee Crunch Cookies instead!

I had some crispy rice cereal on hand that I needed to get rid of.  I like making treats with them, but I think they are worthless as cereal.  These cookies don't have any fancy ingredients, and they take only a few minutes to make.  And they are fantastic!  These taste like chocolate chip cookies and Rice Krispie treats came together to have delicious cookie babies. 

You might notice by the ingredient list that this makes a good sized batch of cookies.  I think next time I will cut the recipe in half.  I loved them, but I have too many things I want to make to spend a week eating one kind of cookie! 

Now, while I was devouring these cookies, I thought to myself, "How could I health these up?"  I think I came up with some calorie slashing ideas that will still result in a yummy cookie.  Sounds like a good Makeover Monday!  Stay tuned.  But in the meantime, let's make some Toffee Crunch Cookies!

 Here's what you need:
Easy enough.  Beat the butter and sugars.
Looks yummy!  Now add eggs and vanilla. 
Then add the flours, baking powder, and baking soda.  This is getting good!
Now stir in the rest of the goodies.
Mix it all up, and it will look like this:
At this point, try not to eat it all.  Instead, place on a baking sheet.  Parchment paper makes nice cookies, and easy clean up!
Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Look for them to turn golden brown around the edges as they will still be soft when you take them out of the oven.  But they turn out looking like this:

Ready to try?  Here's the recipe:

Toffee Crunch Cookies
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups quick oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Beat butter with sugars.  Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla.  Beat in flour, baking soda, and baking powder.  
Fold in oats, ceral, chocolate chips, and marshmallows.
Drop by 1tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  
Bake 10-12 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. These look interesting! Chocolate chip cookies are a staple in my household but I think I will change it up by trying these. ♥

    ReplyDelete