Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beef & Broccoli

 I have been holding on to this recipe for far too long.  So today is the day I share it with the world.  I have some yummy sugary treats on the back burner as well (not literally speaking, of course) but I thought with millions of Americans trying to stick to that ubiquitous New Year's resolution to eat healthier, I would save those for March, when everyone gives up.  Well, everyone but you.  I know you all will stick with it because you have read my post on "How to Stick to Your New Year's Resolution."  On a side note, I thought I would be all fancy and look up some statistics on how many people actually resolve to eat healthier or lose weight.  I didn't.  So I'm going with "millions."  That sounds about right.

Anyway, back to our main topic of interest, beef and broccoli.  I love it.  I never seem to think about making my own Chinese food.  I just head to the only Chinese restaurant in our town, which is a buffet.  And because it is a buffet, I eat too much and leave feeling miserable.  Yes, it happens to me too.  But one fateful day, I decided to try my hand at making my own beef and broccoli.  I found a recipe, whipped it up, and enjoyed!  This recipe is really easy to make, and it is absolutely delicious.  By delicious, I mean that I licked the bowl clean.  And I usually only do that with cookie dough or cake batter, so that's saying something!  


So what's my favorite part about this great dish?  This can be prepared in about the same amount of time it takes to go out and get Chinese, and it is just as tasty, if not tastier!  Plus, by making it at home, you know exactly what's in it, and you can customize it to your own tastes.  And there's no fancy ingredients--just stuff you have on hand already.  

So next time you are craving some great Chinese food, don't head for the take-out menu.  Just head for the kitchen!  You can prepare your own meaty, saucey, flavorful beef and broccoli at home!  This bite of deliciousness could be yours!



Beef & Broccoli
Ingredients:
3/4 cups lite soy sauce (don't use regular, or it will be way too salty!)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 lb steak, sliced (I used sirloin)
2 Tbsp oil, divided
1 lb broccoli florets
Brown rice, for serving
Directions
In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic. Add sliced meat to the bowl, toss and set aside.
Heat about 1/2 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet or wok over high heat. Add broccoli and stir for about 2 minutes. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.
Allow pan to get hot again. Add an additional tablespoon of oil. Add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Spread out meat as you add it to the pan, but do not stir until it is able to create a brown crust. Turn meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.
Repeat with the other half of meat, allowing the pan to get hot again first and adding the last 1/2 tablespoon of oil. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, and the broccoli. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds. Take off heat and serve immediately with rice.

Recipe adapted from Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment