Wednesday, July 10, 2013

S'mores Bars

Another summer is whizzing by.  I can't believe that the 4th of July has already come and gone.  Where is the time going?  I've got less than a month before my summer vacation is officially over.  So I've got to soak up the summer while I can.  

One of the great iconic treats of summer is the s'more.  They are simple goodness.  Artfully toast a marshmallow over a fire on a summer night, add a milk chocolate Hersey bar, put it between graham cracker squares, and devour.  It's really a pretty simple recipe.  And they are fun to make.  But what if you want s'mores pronto?  What if you don't have a fire?  Enter these amazing s'mores bars.  Easy and delicious come together to revamp this great summer classic!

These are similar to Rice Krispie treats, but they are made with Golden Grahams to imitate graham crackers.  Clever!   And to go with the s'mores theme, miniature Hersey Kisses, and marshmallows are added into the mix as well.  Yummy!
The original recipe I used called for chocolate chips.  I used the miniature kisses because I thought the Hersey's would give it more of an authentic s'mores taste.  And I think I was right.  They work perfectly in this recipe.  I added them when the marshmallow mixture was still warm so they melted a little bit, which made it even more s'more-like.  

Overall, I absolutely loved this recipe.  It came together in just a few minutes, much faster than I can start a fire!  Hey, I'm no Girl Scout.  And it was perfectly delicious.  I don't think I have ever had Golden Grahams for breakfast, but I can say that they make for a great dessert!  With the addition of miniature Hersey's Kisses and miniature marshmallows, these were irresistible.   
So next time you are craving a yummy s'more, but don't have a fire over which to toast a marshmallow (or if you're like me, set a marshmallow on fire and frantically try to blow it out) whip up a delicious batch of these no-bake s'mores bars.  Hurry, summer's only here for a limited time!

S'more's Bars
Ingredients:
1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows, divided
1 bag (10 oz) Hershey's miniature kisses (can use chocolate chips instead), divided
1 box (12 oz) Golden Grahams cereal
6 Tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions:
Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside
In a large microwaveable bowl, melt margarine.  Set aside 1/2 cup of marshmallows, and add the rest to the bowl of melted butter.  Microwave for 30 seconds and stir.  Repeat until marshmallows are melted.  Stir in vanilla.
Pour Golden Grahams into large bowl.  Add marshmallow mixture and stir to coat.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups of miniature kisses.  Press mixture into baking pan.  Top with remaining marshmallows and miniature kisses, pressing down gently to make sure they stick.  Store in refrigerator to allow to cool (it's less sticky if you keep it there).
Serves 12

Recipe adapted from countrycleaver.com

1 comment:

  1. Yum!
    Hershey's makes chocolate chips too! I get the milk chocolate ones for making "puppy chow" but dark chocolate ones for cookies...it's like a billion kisses at once ;)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete