Monday, November 26, 2012

Makeover Monday: Pumpkin Apple Muffins

I know that Thanksgiving is over and everyone is already over turkey and pumpkin, and is consumed with the Christmas season.  Well, tough.  The calendar says it is still November, so I reserve the right to post fall recipes.

I can't say for sure, but I imagine that pumpkin and apple have a bit of a rivalry going.  They are both classic fall flavors.  I have to think that apple nation feels slighted every time someone bakes a pumpkin pie, and pumpkins every where suffer from a bruised ego with every apple crisp enjoyed hot out of the oven.  But I am here today to bring these two together.  Pumpkin and apple can finally be friends with these delicious, satisfying, and made-over pumpkin apple muffins!



These pumpkin apple muffins are full of fall flavors, including pumpkin, apple (duh!), cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.  Oh my!  The chopped apples in these muffins not only gave it yummy apple flavor, but they also made them nice and moist.  The spices in these muffins are wonderful, and they make your house smell amazing while they are baking!  Honestly, the smell alone is worth baking these muffins!
And these taste great without the guilt!  I added some whole wheat flour for a fiber boost, used Splenda to slash the sugar, and used applesauce instead of oil to cut out the fat.  I got 18 muffins out of this recipe.  And although I loved them, there was no way my husband and I were going to be able to eat 18 of them.  So I sent some of them to the office with him.  These were so well received that his coworkers put up a plaque commemorating the day I brought them pumpkin apple muffins.  OK, that's an exaggeration.  But they did love them!  And of course, no one knew they were healthy muffins.  I won't tell if you won't!

Pumpkin Apple Muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups Splenda
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups chopped apples (about 2 medium)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with baking cups, or spray with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, Splenda, spices, baking soda, and salt.
Combine eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce.  Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.  Fold in apples.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Makes 18 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment