Monday, November 12, 2012

Makeover Monday: Butter Pecan Waffles

I love butter pecan.  I love waffles.  I love maple syrup.  It really was only a matter of time before I put it all together for a breakfast I would absolutely adore.  I just can't believe it has taken me this long!  Butter pecan is one of my favorite ice cream flavors.  And I can only imagine what butter pecan ice cream would be like with the addition of maple flavor.  The combination was just meant to be!

When I found a recipe for butter pecan waffles, I knew I had to make it.  Finally, I could add maple to butter pecan in a socially acceptable manor.  And not only could I combine some of my favorite flavors, but I could adapt it to be healthier.  Because let's face it, no matter how delicious butter pecan ice cream drenched in maple syrup would be, it isn't exactly waistline friendly!




These butter pecan waffles aren't the most dramatic Makeover Monday I have ever done.  But I did cut out fat by using margarine instead of butter and skim milk, and added some fiber by swapping out some of the regular all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour.  I only went halfway this time, but feel free to go all whole wheat flour!

Even though these waffles are whole grain rich and reduced fat, they pack a lot of deliciousness in each bite!  They are crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.  Just the way I like them!  These are also about as easy as a waffle recipe can be.  The batter takes less than 5 minutes to make!

And they have a nice buttery flavor with great crunch from the pecans.  Top with some extra butter or margarine and low sugar maple flavored syrup and you have an awesome breakfast that gives you the butter pecan taste you love without the guilt you hate!

Butter Pecan Waffles
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 3/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chopped pecans, plus more if desired for topping
Directions:
Heat waffle iron.
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes, until foamy.  Beat in all other ingredients except for pecans just until combined.  Gently fold in chopped pecans. 
Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour 1/2 cup to 1 cup of batter onto waffle iron (depending on how big you waffle iron is, follow manufacturer's directions) and cook about 5 minutes, or until steaming stops.
Carefully remove waffles from iron.  Repeat with remaining batter.  Keep done waffles warm in 250 degree oven while you make remaining waffles.  Serve with butter or margarine, additional pecans if desired, and light maple-flavored pancake syrup.

Makes 4 large Belgian waffles.

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Quick and Easy Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment