Monday, July 30, 2012

Makeover Monday: Chocolate Banana Shake

Like every good red blooded American, I adore milkshakes.  The only thing better than cold, creamy, smooth, delicious ice cream on a hot summer day is ice cream you can drink with a straw.  And if a good milkshake takes you back to a simpler time when kids went to the soda fountain after school and danced to jukebox music in poodle skirts, then you are going to want to find some Happy Days reruns and whip up this awesome chocolate banana shake.


Personally, milkshakes remind me of going to the drive-thru of our local, small town burger place, The Banner, with my grandma after school and getting a strawberry milkshake that was probably about as big as I was.  Fortunately, I guess I worked off all those milkshake calories by riding my bike around the neighborhood.  But if you aren't planning on riding a bike around for hours, I've got great news for you.  This milkshake is a fake.  Even better, it doesn't taste like a fake.  You have to try it to believe it!



How do you fake a milkshake?  I'm glad you asked!  It's really quite simple.  You just don't use ice cream.  I know you must be thinking I'm crazy.  Although that might be true, it certainly isn't because of this recipe.  While traditional milkshakes rely on an admittedly delicious concoction of frozen cream, milk, and sugar as their main ingredient, my healthier milkshake relies on frozen....fruit.  Yes, I took the humble banana and turned it into a dessert superstar.  It's kind of like the "She's All That" of milkshakes.  Except without Freddy Prince Jr.  Sorry teenage girls of the 1990s!  
Swapping out ice cream for bananas leaves you with a milkshake that is still thick, creamy, and flavorful.  But it has less than a gram of fat per serving.  I should also mention that the other awesome thing about this milkshake is that it gets its power boost of chocolate from cocoa powder.  No sugary chocolate syrup for this milkshake!  Cocoa powder is a good source of antioxidants and has 10 measly calories per tablespoon. So in this recipe, you get a ton of chocolate flavor with absolutely no guilt.  Plus, you get 3/4 of a serving of dairy and two servings of fruit.  For dessert.  Brilliant!  
So next time that milkshake craving hits, which for me will probably be tonight, don't head for the drive-thru. Don't grab the ice cream carton.  Reach in your fruit bowl instead and enjoy a milkshake that won't make your butt shake! :)


Chocolate Banana Shake
Ingredients:
4 medium bananas, sliced, then frozen (freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet before putting in a container to avoid ending up with a giant mass of frozen banana!)
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 1/2 cups skim milk
Directions:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  
Serves 2.


Recipe adapted from My Fridge Food

No comments:

Post a Comment